Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You Have No Way to Hide Your Secrets

As the Internet develops, information are transferred and gathered in  a unbelievable quick  and easy way.  Obviously, the Internet makes our life easier than decades ago. It provides a new way for people to do business.  It makes you easy to keep in touch with your friends. You are able to know your friends who are thousands of kilometers away from you through the Facebook or Twitter . However, the internet is a double-edged sword. One of the downsides of Internet is the difficulty to keep your private information safe. In my opinion, the social networking service is a tool for purposeful privacy exposure. It is difficult to choose which group of people could have the access to your blog. Your privacy is open for any possible audiences, even for someone you don't want. Many employers look for their potential employees' Facebook before they make the final decision.  
(By Haimei Hong)

3 comments:

  1. It's true how the internet can be a double edged sword as you described. Not only can we benefit from the internet, but it can also hurt us as well. In my opinion, the best way to protect yourself is to not provide information when signing up for freebies or social networking sites. From my personal experience, I would sign up with an alias as I am paranoid when it comes to the internet and my personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, the internet is definitely a double edged sword especially facebook. Right now I am contemplating deactivating my facebook accouunt because I feel no matter how secure facebook says it is it really isnt, and also I hate when I upload pics and my friends tag others who are in the pics whom I am not friends with and they comment on the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a frequent facebook user. Facebook does have functions that allows you to hide some information. But I feel that if you have information to hide, do not put it on your facebook at all. Many people hide their emails, screen names, hometowns, etc.. Although facebook has controls to super privatize your facebook, I still think it is not enough. Facebook can never be secure enough.

    ReplyDelete